“Proteins” is the buzzword in the food industry. Consumers are looking for new experiences, health benefits, a clean label and sustainable products — all without jeopardizing food safety. Proteins, both animal and plant-based, can play a role here. This leads to new challenges for food manufacturers, both start-ups and established. Food manufacturers may be asking themselves:
- How do I develop a tasty, digestible, nutritionally-complete product and with substantiated claims?
- How can I add more or other proteins to my products and still make sure they have good sensory qualities?
- How can I drive towards the shortest possible label and still guarantee quality and compliance?
- How do I ensure that these products are developed in a timely fashion and end up with a product that can be developed in my production plant without issues and in a sustainable way?
Specifically, plant proteins are dominating the trends in the food and beverage market. These trends reveal the multitude of sources from which plant proteins or plant protein ingredients originate, as well as the various applications in the beverage market. Plant-based dairy products are a clear consumer favorite. Other trends include using plant proteins for their technical functionality, nutrition, sustainability and creating a better image in the market.
In this free webinar, the featured speaker will discuss these trends in-depth, as well as address some of the concerns food manufacturers may have in the wake of this plant-based movement. He will further describe new developments in improving the taste and aroma of plant proteins, the role of agriculture and breeding in plant protein production and optimization and the nutritional value of plant proteins.
Fred van de Velde, Expertise Group Leader Protein Functionality, NIZO
In addition to his role as group leader at NIZO, is a principal scientist of protein functionality at NIZO (Ede, the Netherlands) as well as a professor of protein transition in food at HAS University of Applied Sciences (Den Bosch, the Netherlands). He has a PhD in Biocatalysis from the Technical University of Delft and 19 years of experience in food ingredients and proteins, including dairy, animal and plant proteins. His work on protein functionality ranges from extraction and separation from different sources to application in food and feed products. This includes downstream processing, molecular characterization, functionality and sensory properties as well as interaction with other ingredients in complex matrices. Fred is an expert on the relationship between the molecular structure of food ingredients, their interactions, microstructure and texture, product stability and sensory perception. His two major research interests include expanding the use of plant protein by improving their functional properties and proving the sensory properties of food by understanding the in mouth behaviour of the products. To date, he has published more than 90 research articles and book chapters and he is (co)-inventor of 12 patent applications.
Who Should Attend?
This webinar will appeal to food and beverage manufacturers in emerging and established companies, working in the following or related departments:
- Product development
- Quality assurance
- Marketing and innovation
What You Will Learn
Participants will learn about:
- Plant-based protein trend in the food and beverage industry
- New challenges faced by food manufacturers
- Technologies to develop, optimize and apply plant proteins
- New developments in improving the taste and aroma of plant proteins and plant protein ingredients
- The role of agriculture and breeding in plant protein production and optimization
- Plant proteins in healthy products, their safety aspects and roles as replacers of animal proteins
NIZO is the world’s leading company in contract research for better food and health. NIZO helps food companies to develop new tasty products by being able to understand, apply NPD development from fundamental scientific research all the way to the end product. NIZO, is the independent protein expert that makes your protein challenges become reality by developing tasty, multi-protein products. With deep knowledge in both animal (e.g. dairy) and plant proteins, we offer multi-disciplinary experience around the whole innovation pipeline as we understand how each development step is interrelated to the entire development process.
You Must Login To Register for this Free Webinar
Already have an account? LOGIN HERE. If you don’t have an account you need to create a free account.Create Account