This webinar is about transforming packaging production lines to reduce errors and costs through data management and integration, combining together marking and coding equipment with control and information systems.
It outlines the typical scenarios on packaging lines in FMCG/CPG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods/Consumer Packaged Goods) packaging facilities that can result in errors being made and additional costs being generated.
It will explain the integrated solutions that are available to be implemented that reduce these errors and unwanted costs and increase production efficiencies.
In the final section of the presentation, a number of case studies are discussed that show the results and savings that have been made by implementing integrated data solutions for real-life marking and coding solutions by clients around the globe.
1. The errors and costs of getting marking and coding wrong.
In today’s production environments, marking and coding is required at each level of packaging from consumer units through cases, tray and bundles to pallets.
Getting the right legible data on the right item is essential. If the wrong data is printed, it can be very costly in terms of rework, scrap, waste, efficiency, consumer confidence, legal compliance and product recalls. Even if there are no errors, additional costs can be incurred from excessive manual interventions and the resulting lower production efficiencies. The first section of the webinar looks at various aspects of packaging lines and describes the typical scenarios that cause errors and increase costs. Areas covered will include:
- Incorrectly setting up multiple pieces of packaging equipment on a production line.
- Not using the correct packaging or data to be printed when producing multiple similar products.
- Introducing errors when manually maintaining, updating, handing and transposing data to print from ERP systems through production planning to manufacturing.
- Incurring additional costs to maintain multiple image designs across multiple printer types and products.
- Incorrectly maintaining, setting up or running marking and coding equipment so that printed data is missing or not readable.
2. Using marking and coding data integration solutions to reduce errors and costs.
There are a number of different ways to reduce errors and costs associated with illegible or incorrect marking and coding. The webinar continues with a description of the various solutions that are available today to address the scenarios.
- Automating production change-overs – To eliminate incorrect data being printed.
- Reducing human error – By managing data centrally.
- Reducing or eliminating manual interventions – To increase production efficiencies when setting up production lines.
- Adding on-line automated visual inspection – To detect bad prints and incorrect packaging, with Auto-ID and Optical Character Recognition (OCR) vision equipment.
- Closing the loop with reporting systems – To confirm what has been printed and allow the data to be used in the supply chain for anti-diversion, anti-counterfeit, product recalls in relation to minimising supply chain costs.
- Linking all the above solutions together into a single integrated software package.
3. Real-life case studies with real savings and efficiency gains.
In the first two sections of the webinar we have looked at the solutions available to overcome errors and costs that can be experienced on modern production and packaging lines in FMCG companies.
The third section of the webinar looks at several real-life examples, with the improvements and savings made in error reduction, cost saving and increased efficiencies. Solutions shown will include:
- Integration of marking and coding systems with other key production line equipment.
- Centralised databases to manage printed data and image designs.
- Industrial terminal screens for setting up production lines.
- Automated inspection systems to check printed data.
Each solution will describe the problem to be solved, the solution delivered and the savings made by reducing errors and costs, using data. integration for marking and coding in packaging production environments.
4. Q & A
The question and answer session will give attendees the opportunity to ask questions about the webinar and discuss answers with the presenters.
Mark Hathaway, Product Marketing Manager, Software, Markem-Imaje
Mark has worked in the packaging industry for over 25 years, the last 20 with marking and coding at Markem-Imaje. He has held various positions leading design, support and application engineering for integrated solutions at country, regional and global levels. This has involved him in many customer projects linking together marking and coding with control systems on the factory floor and connecting with information and data systems to improve line efficiency and reduce marking and coding errors. Mark is now the Product Marketing Manager for software at Markem-Imaje, responsible for the successful launch and growth of the CoLOS range of software and associated solutions.
Damien Flynn, Pre-Sales Engineering Mark & Read Expert, Americas Business Unit, Markem-Imaje
Damien is a skilled engineer with many years’ experience providing customer support and solutions engineering. He is the Pre-Sales Engineering Mark & Read expert in the Markem-Imaje Americas Business Unit providing escalated support to the local pre-sales engineers. In addition he is a member of the Markem-Imaje global team of experts for CoLOS software and Print & Apply solutions.
David Habib, Software and Solutions Manager – Americas, Markem-Imaje
David is the Software and Solutions Manager for Markem-Imaje in North America. He has been a key member of the auto-id industry since 1985 and rfid industry since 1997 with experiences in product traceability, brand protection, warehouse management and inventory control, as well as product marking/verification solutions. He works with a number of global 5000 companies to develop industry standard solutions that improve efficiencies and reduce costs. David works with a wide-range of vertical industries including: consumer packaged goods, food and beverage, dairy, tobacco, Pharmaceutical, process and discrete manufacturing as well as numerous distribution environments.
Who Should Attend?
Managers and professionals involved in packaging line operations within FMCG/CPG industries including food, beverage and healthcare.
Relevant disciplines include:
- Production and operations
- Information Technology
- Factory Management
Markem-Imaje is a trusted world manufacturer of product identification and traceability solutions, offering a full line of reliable and innovative inkjet, thermal transfer, laser, print and apply label systems. Markem-Imaje delivers fully integrated solutions that enable product quality and safety, regulatory and retailer compliance, better product recalls and improved manufacturing processes.
Markem-Imaje can rely on 30 subsidiaries worldwide to provide more than 40 000 customers with optimal product marking and coding solutions. Additionally, Markem-Imaje customers are supported by 6 R&D centers, several equipment repair centers and manufacturing plants strategically located around the globe.
Sign Up To Register for this Webinar
Interested in this webinar? Signup to learn more and register for upcoming webinars or recorded webinars.Sign Up