Circulating tumor cells (CTCs) are rare in healthy individuals and patients with nonmalignant diseases, however, they are present in patients with various metastatic carcinomas. Some clinical studies indicate the number of CTCs present in the patient is an indicator of progression-free and overall survival for cancer patients. Therefore, evaluating CTCs can assist physicians to monitor and predict cancer progression for those with metastatic cancer.
Key Takeaway Points:
- CTCs as prognostic and predictive tools
- Obtain extensive biomarker data without invasive procedures
- Personalized therapy based upon CTC molecular pathology
Ken Pennline, PhD Vice President and Global Head, Cytometry Services LabCorp Clinical Trials
Dr. Pennline, currently Vice President and Global Head, Cytometry Services for LabCorp Clinical Trials, received his Ph.D. in immunology from The Ohio State University in 1977. Previously he has held positions as a faculty member in the Department of Pathology and Director of the Immune Monitoring Laboratory at Georgetown University, Washington, DC, as Senior Principal Scientist and Director of Core Flow Cytometry at Schering Plough, Kenilworth, NJ, and as Global Director of Operations in Oncology/Cell Analysis for Esoterix Clinical Trial Services.
Who Should Attend?
Pharma clinical and outsourcing teams focused on oncology and biomarkers
LabCorp Clinical Trials
LabCorp Clinical Trials, a division of LabCorp, combines standardized international laboratory capabilities with sophisticated diagnostic technologies to provide a broad portfolio of services and clinical assays to support drug and diagnostic clinical studies.
- Full-service central laboratory support for Phase 1 through Phase IV studies
- Dedicated clinical trials laboratories in Belgium, China, Singapore and the United States
- Participation in more than 7300 clinical trials, including more than 1200 with international sites
- Scientific leadership and innovation across major therapeutic areas
- Comprehensive portfolio of clinical assays and laboratory services for accelerated drug development
- Dedicated research and development services to assist in assay development and validation, and new assay implementation
- Standardized test platforms and global reference intervals for real-time combined data
- Global proficiency testing and quality control programs
- Global courier and logistics solutions