Internet-friendly epatients – or empowered patients – and the rising availability of big data are becoming increasingly significant in clinical research. While the industry struggles to work out how best to respond to these developments, innovative approaches are starting to emerge that are already changing thinking and practise around clinical trial planning and implementation.
Key discussion points include:
- The epatients: who and where they are, how significant they are, and what they are looking for
- The big data benefit that epatients and other complementary sources can provide
- How clinical research can harness and make sense of the data, and what can be done with it to improve clinical trial recruitment rates
- How the information flow can be managed and the potential risks mitigated
Peter Coë Executive Director and Co-Founder Tudor Reilly Health
Peter Coë is a director and co-founder of Tudor Reilly Health, a digital health company, building online communities for patients and carers in areas of medical need. He is also co-author of the ground-breaking report Clinical trial recruitment in the age of the epatient, subtitled: How education, collaboration and big data can transform the planning and implementation of clinical trials (pub. Tudor Reilly Health, Dec 2013). The report included a detailed analysis of epatient activity in the US in three therapeutic areas, based on online data drawn from the company’s ePatient Insights™ platform.
Before moving into healthcare consultancy, Mr. Coë was a journalist and broadcaster for 20 years, specialising in business and economics, including 10 years as a news anchorman for BBC World TV and BBC News 24 in London
Paulo Moreira VP - GCO, Head of External Innovation EMD Serono
Paulo Moreira is a Clinical Development executive with 24 years of experience in clinical research. He has been with EMD Serono for the last 14 year in positions of increasing responsibility within Clinical Operations. Most recently, as the Global Head of Clinical Strategic Partnering and presently as the Vice President of Clinical External Innovation. Mr. Moreira is also a Visiting Scholar at Boston College where he teaches at the Pathways in Clinical Research Program. He is very active in several industry-wide organizations and also serves on the Steering Committee of the Clinical Trial Transformation Initiative
Who Should Attend?
Directors, Managers, Heads of, Officers, Scientists, and Specialists in:
- Pharma and Biotech
- Contract Research Organizations
- Site Management Organizations
- Contract Manufacturing Organizations
- Research Institutions/Universities
- Institutional Review Boards/Research Ethics Boards
- Government, Regulatory Groups
- Patient Advocacy Groups
- Patient Service and Clinical Solutions Providers
Led by global industry thought leaders, each eCongress is a month-long webinar series, at your fingertips, which delivers practical, real-world insights and solutions to some of your industry’s biggest challenges.
Offered in a convenient, interactive and timely format, each eCongress is free to attend and highlights best practices, case studies and regulatory updates with the goal of facilitating proactive discussion and offering timely solutions around key industry issues.